måndag 20 oktober 2014

THE WHO/LIVE AT LEEDS 2406001 (-70) UK

I'm going on and on here about "Colosseum Live" being the greatest live album ever. It is in its genre and to me the way I am most of the time, but on those occations I need dirty sixties rock'n'roll performed by the best with top audio this is the one. Playing it on high volume is like being hit by a steamroller. The recording, mix and pressing are perfect, bringing it through loud and natural. One of those records where you can sit down, close your eyes and be there. It's a nice selection of songs and the performance as good as it gets, but much of the impact comes from the superb audio. So don't just hail the band. Send an appreciating thought to the guys, most of them anonymous, who handled all stations from mic to vinyl. Today that can be done by one person programming a computor, back then it was a long process with many separate niches involved. Already 1970 issued with three differently colored prints on cover - black, blue and red - where of only the red continued to be pressed through the seventies. Apart from matrixes, number of inserts and paper quality changed through the years as well as ridging on label. It's not an exact science and rather confusing. The best page I've found on the subject is from Steve Hoffman http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-who-live-at-leeds-is-this-a-first-uk-pressing.305556/ . Especially check Raunchroll's comments. As far as I can figure out the copy here is from around 1972-73. Label is ridged and all inserts are hard paper, but it's still on Track, the vinyl is thick and label structured. Since it has the same stunning impact as the first press (I've compared) it's the one for me. I just can't convince myself to pay $500 for a mint black print complete if I can get the same listening experience from this for a fraction of that price. (WÖH*) (TRÄC*) (LYBÖ*)

4 kommentarer:

  1. My favourite live album. Extended CD version is total masterpiece. I'm impressed how they build dramaturgy on this gig. Long version of 'My generation' is absolutely killer!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Never heard the CD, but guess there's lots of goodies there not on the vinyl.

      Radera
  2. "The recording, mix and pressing are perfect, bringing it through loud and natural. One of those records where you can sit down, close your eyes and be there" - you're absolutely right!!

    SvaraRadera