tisdag 3 mars 2015

THE DOORS/L.A. WOMAN K 42090 (-71) UK

As I started to discover the US music scene around 1967 Doors first three albums became a big part of that. The odd licks, catchy melodies and Jim Morrison's entrancing vocals struck deep in my teen mind. However by "Soft Parade" I lost interest and also missed the following "Morrison Hotel". It was first with Morrison's death my attention was reverted and I gave this a chance. By now such a celebrated album conveyed by miles of facts and positive reviews, but I'm still at that place late 1971 when I put it on for the first time. I remember the joy I felt from the first organ sound in "The Changeling" all the way to the last thunder of "Riders On The Storm". Not only for the well written melodies or poetry, but also because of the atomsphere - so simple and direct it's almost transparent and immediately invites you in. Vinyl presence at its best. If that has to do with the band getting more mature, change of studio, on the spot recordings or the fact that Bruce Botnick had moved from engineer to being in charge of production is for others to decide. All I know is even if I sometimes prefer their earlier albums this is the one where I come closest to the guys and really feel them. Premiere US on Elektra (EKS-75011). First UK had label as shown here, thin radius corner cut-out sleeve with plastic pic window, embossed group name and yellow crucifix inner. (DÖÖW*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar