fredag 20 oktober 2017

ROXY MUSIC/COUNTRY LIFE ILPS 9303 (-74) UK

Rediscovered this gem a while ago and been spinning it a lot since. I'm in love again and that will be the main theme of today's post. Follow-up to the borderline masterful "Stranded" with an even greater impact. An amazing collection of songs, without doubt their best post-Eno effort and a (or maybe the) pinnacle of British art rock. Stylistically a blend of glam, psych, prog and art rock, sometimes glancing even further - like the medieval feeling in "Triptych", or the Brecht/Weill inspired part of "Bitter-Sweet". Every song is an adventure, combining challanging with catchiness in a very good way. Impossible for me to use as background, because whatever I'm trying to do at the same time the record draws my attention and push me into the listening chair, so loaded with emotions all I can do is sit still and take it in...while watching one of the sexiest LP sleeves ever. I like everything on it, but maybe "Out Of The Blue", "Prairie Rose" and "Casanova" a bit more. If I must say something negative - this UK 1st is cut so damn loud the audio almost cracks at a few tracks. I can live with that, but will look for an early Polydor reissue as those mostly came with better audio than the Island originals. Premiere UK had label as shown here, fully laminated cover and glossy lyric/ad inner. (ÄNO*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar