torsdag 20 mars 2014

STEPPENWOLF LIVE 1C 188-91 644/5 (-70) GERMANY

I saw them on stage in England 1970 and was very impressed. Around this time I experienced quite a few live performances by US and UK bands touring Europe. Steppenwolf wasn't my absolute favorite for studio albums, but on stage they proved to be the tightest and rawest with an incredible groove. Some of that magic is captured on this 2-LP set, most of it recorded in Santa Monica 1970 to promote the "Monster" album. I bought it early and enjoyed as a flashback. It was about the same numbers and with my eyes closed I could rekindle the moment. Much later I learned that three of the cuts - "Twisted", Hey Lawdy Mama" and "Corrina, Corrina" actuallty were studio recordings, remade and with added crowd noise to emulate live. That is cheating and in a way disappointing, but on the other hand so well done here it's almost impossible to hear if you don't know. It's the same feeling and groove all through and still a very good live album, so I just go with it. Also this version of "The Pusher" is the meanest ever and that alone makes it worthwhile. Audio is really good, allowing you to be there if you choose. Premiere US on Dunhill (DSD 50075). UK Stateside single LP release (SSL 5029) came with eleven tracks, omitting "Monster" and "Power Play". Early German, made from US tapes, had label as shown here, thick vinyl and laminated fold/out cover. (LYBÖ*) (GÖXÄ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar