söndag 4 maj 2014

COLOSSEUM/DAUGHTER OF TIME 6360 017 (-70) UK

Through this blog I've been mainly positive and sometimes ecstatic about the records. Logical since they are in my collection for a reason and most of them part of my life for a long time. The downside with this overall upbeat approach is after 900+ posts I used up all superlatives and when doing a masterpiece like this I can't figure out how to make it justice without repeating myself. Maybe I just say - IMO it's one of the best studio albums ever, one of the most complicated and superbly performed still with an abundance of beauty and drama. Recorded as the band was going through transitions. Dave Clemson and Chris Farlowe had just replaced James Litherland while Louis Cennamo, who substituted for original bassist Tony Reeves, was superseded by Mark Clarke during the sessions - LC doing four cuts, MC three and TR only on the live outtake "The Time Machine" (uncredited). Further reinforcements for the album were classically schooled multi-instrumentalist and singer Barabara Thompson (MBE), Derek Wadsworth (1939-2008) - one of Britains most prominent trombonists, Harold Beckett (1935-2010) - voted best English jazz trumpeter 1972, and Jack Rothstein (1925-2001) - rewarded art music violinist since the early fifties who also had played on a number of Beatles recordings. Produced by Gerry Bron (1933-2012), partly arranged by pianist and jazz band leader Neil Ardley (1937-2004). So it's a combination of then modern prog and old school execution - vision and tradition woven together. I'd want to dissect each and every cut - lyrics, melodies and separate performances - but they're so intricately done it would take a too long novel. Opening track alone - "Three Score And Ten, Amen" - has enough ideas and themes for a whole album, all in 5:36. I could have been without the long drum solo in "The Time Machine" ending side two, but apart from that it's magic. Still rewarding after fortyfour years and truly recommended wherever you are. US first on Dunhill (DSX 50101). Various CD reissues on Bronze, Castle, Sequel and Sanctuary. Early UK came with three different swirl designs on label. Very first had full swirl on A-side and large on B-side as shown here, second had smaller swirl on B-side and third small swirls on both sides. All three variations came in the same matt fold/out sleeve with identical audio. Earliest also had poly-lined swirl inner with 1070 dating. (CÖL*)(WLÖ*)

4 kommentarer:

  1. Saw one with this label variation at the last fair. Wish I had bought it. The wax was less than EX but you just don't see these all the time. I love this album, btw.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. A true love it is.

      Hardly ever shows up herer either. Took me ten years to get this complete. A decade ago I bought a decent third label variation in an almost perfect cover for nothing, then last week I found this first with near mint record and orig inner in a rather bad cover and got a good price. Finally a match and I didn't have to ruin myself. Time is on my side :)

      Radera
    2. Very nice! Guess I gotta be patient too.

      Radera
    3. Yup patience is a collectors most valuable virtue.

      Radera