torsdag 11 oktober 2018

THE LOLLIPOPS/BEDSTE 6340 047 (-76) DENMARK

In my late pre-teens Lollipops was one of the bands I liked best. We were about the same age and their childish and energetic apporach to pop and rock fit me like a glove. Saw them live when they toured Sweden and for a short while I was a devoted fan. Still have copies of their first two albums (see earlier posts) and they still work for me when I need to take head trips back to more joyous times. But as puberty happened for us all we grew apart. I got caught in white blues, psych and rock'n'roll anglo-saxon style and totally lost connection. In fact haven't heard any of their post-1965 stuff up to this day. So when I saw this compilation of tracks recorded 1967-71 thought I'd give it a try. Seven 45 A:s and one B coupled with four album only cuts. With their earlier kid-rock production in mind this comes as a small shock. Gone are the youthfully punchy approach, the screaming and insistant rythms. Instead I get in comparison rather slow late sixties Brit-pop, well arranged and performed, some even orchestrated. A couple of good tracks with a totally ok "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" cover and the self-penned pop piece "Sussy Moore" topping the bill. I guess this more mature style brought them new fans as time went by, but it's not The Lollipops I knew so I much rather spend time with their early stuff. The audio on this compilation is very good all through, having "Sussy Moore" as slightly enhanced mono and the rest true stereo. Issued in Denmark only, also on cassette (7185 057). First vinyl had label as shown here and thin laminated cover. (SCÄ*) (CCÖ*) (LÖLÖ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar