tisdag 12 november 2013

THE ROLLING STONES/HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR MOTHER LIVE! SKL 4838 (-67) UK EXPORT

Can't seem to figure out what kind of animal this is, all I can say it's an ugly one. Surfing and asking around I'm getting various tales and notices about recordings, origins and makings. Either it's from the same master as US or an altogether different one. Some say all tracks but two recorded live in Bristol and Newcastle - "Fortune Teller" and "I've Been Loving You Too Long" studio recordings with overdubbed audience...others say all cuts are studio recordings with overdubbed audience. I don't get any of that, to me most of it sounds like studio build-ups around real live fragments. Some say mono and stereo were released simultaniously 1967, others the mono was issued 1966 and the stereo about a year later. It is in fact some kind of true stereo although very constructed. Most tracks have Jaggers vocals loud and clear in one speaker and the music as a low-fi mess in the other. Partly there's no public noise at all and sometimes it shows up at various volume in one channel only and sometimes in both. There's a few obvious overdubs of background vocals, harmonica and more - coming through louder than the rest. It's a shamble and impossible to enjoy, but my Stones collection needs it. It was a while since I heard a first press US stereo, still I don't remember that being this bad. First export issue came on unboxed label. This boxed is probably 1970 with -1W/-1W matrix and 1/M 1/A mother/stamper, heavy vinyl and original laminated cover. (RÅ*)(LYBÖ*)(ÖXÄP*)

6 kommentarer:

  1. A very rare record nowadays, which in all likeliness was mastered from a US tape. Although not released in the UK at the time, it did come out in Germany in 1967 in stereo only. The USA mono mix is without a doubt much better than the stereo, but even then it is very good bootleg quality at best (I find it's hyper-compressed sound nearly unbearable).

    Most vocals were overdubbed except for two songs (a thread on SHtv taught me that).

    And finally, various pressing variations of this UK export exist. All of em are highly collectible (if not for the music itself).

    http://stonesondecca.com/4A07_SKL4838_Have_You_Seen.html

    SvaraRadera
  2. Thanks Prof.

    The export stereo was also sold in Sweden. I never saw the export mono here, as I heard that only showed up in Holland. Had a chance to trade in a mono about ten years ago from a Dutch guy, but we couldn't agree on the terms.

    Non of them were pressed in any quantities. The copy here is from three years after first issue and still remains on first matrix, first mother and ninth and tenth stamper.. Even if Decca overused them it's still low.

    Now I'm just waiting to find the US mono. Even if it's not 100% it's gotta be better than this :)

    SvaraRadera
  3. To avoid confusion, I should have said; there was an actual German pressing on HorZu/Teldec in 1967.

    Pity you did not get the export mono. It is an insanely rare record, not even one copy on popsike.

    The US mono can be found easily for little on ebay, but I've seen few copies in person.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I will keep my eyes open for the HörZu. I still see quite a lot old German stuff here.

      It Is a pity I couldn't meet the offer, but that was about a few impossible mono's in my collection, including the UK SRC Milestones mono which is even rarer...in fact my post on it here is the only one on the net.

      Radera
  4. I have a Red label UK Mono Export copy LK 4838.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Congratulations mate!!

      Never seen one of those in real life, but would kill to find one :)

      Radera