lördag 1 september 2012

THE YARDBIRDS SX 6063 (-66) UK MONO

I've been meaning to write about this since I started the blog, but wasn't sure how to approach it. It's a one-off UK studio album by one of the most enticing rock groups of the sixties, with a big influence on white blues, psych and the coming hard rock genre. By many considered the classic it ought to be and a while ago I gave it my first intense listening for decades. In the sixties I was a big fan and everything Yardbirds was good, but now to my surprise it didn't do me much. I mean - there's a lot of talent involved and I don't believe they could do bad even if they tried, still as an album it's far from classic. You get the impression they showed up in the studio with a few good songs, unrehersed, and the rest was made up as they went along. Partly it's playful and even funny and Jeff Beck is really showing off here and there, but it's incoherent and lacks some kind of general idea. Co-produced by manager Simon Napier Bell and band member Paul Samwell-Smith. With a lot of egos in the group maybe a more despotic or experienced producer - like Guy Stevens or Mickie Most - not already a part of the gang, would have got a better result. On the positive side - the audio is perfect. It's one of those records where the music escape the speakers and bounce around - big, strong and absolutely clear. The stereo version (SCX 6063) differs from the mono mix, but to my ears the mono sounds a lot better. If You're interested in the Yardbirds and want their best music, look for the US Epic issues instead (check earlier posts). This was issued in US as "Over Under Sideways Down" on Epic (LN 24210/BN 26210) omitting "Rack My Mind" and "The Nazz Are Blue". I read US versions have different mixes from UK, but I never had a US copy so I can't compare. (YÄB*)(JÄBÄ*)

6 kommentarer:

  1. Like you, I'm a big Yardbirds fan. I'd rate this record as good, but pretty much agree with you wrote. There's no real meat here, just very fine potatoes. :)

    Last November at the great record fair in Utrecht (you should come visit it this year!), I seriously hesitated on buying a real nice copy of this @ 300GBP. Had to let it go, eventually. Couldn't justify the price to myself.

    I have the early 80's press of this on Edsel. It has the Happenings/Daisies 45 as a bonus and sounds very nice, mastertape quality. A recommended alternative to those who want this in mono.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I would never pay £300 for this. I haven't heard the Edsel issue, but if that had about the same audio I would settle with it. I hardly listen to it anymore, but still enjoy most of the US Epic monos. That's the Yardbirds I wanna hear. Btw are Happenings/Daisies also the original mono versions on Edsel? In that case I must try to get one.

    I stopped visiting record fairs long time ago. Lack of time, money and energy... But my friend Dan Olsson at Open Mind (linklist)goes every year and sometimes there are some goodies leftovers when he comes home.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Yeh, mono. The album itself is taken from a very nice sounding mastertape, but I'm not sure if this applies to the 45 tracks as well.

    I think I've seen Open Mind. Quite an expensive dealer with lots of rarities, no? There is always this one row where all the Scandinavian dealers are, so I may mix things up here. There's some real good ones among them, and I have bought some Swedish pressings that were cut from UK metal, but cost me fraction of the price of the real deal.

    SvaraRadera
  4. I never looked twice on the Edsel one before. Daisies is hard to find in mono on LP so I will try it if I see it again.

    Sweden is comparatively cheap on used vinyl and Open Mind shop has fair prices, but they may raise as he gets to more expensive environments :) He's hard to describe - average looking, glasses, greyish beard and hair, not a big talker.

    Swedish pressings can be good if You're lucky, but a few are really bad. I detest all on Swedish Island and choose the UK ones every time.

    SvaraRadera
  5. I got a decent copy of this last month at the fair. I gotta say, the Edsel is far superior when it comes to soundquality. The cymbals on this cutting sound swooshy in comparison. I'm glad I didn't pay crazee monies for this, but I guess it's nice to have it as a filler in my collection.

    SvaraRadera
  6. Yup sometimes it feels nice just to own a record, even if it's not superior play. The label, cover and weight means a lot too.

    Haven't seen the Edsel for a while here, but I'll pick it as soon as I can.

    SvaraRadera