fredag 28 september 2012

FREAKOUT U.S.A. T 5901 (-67) US MONO

A compilation living up to its name. This is freaky American music with lots of fuzzed guitars, farfisa organ and spaced out lyrics. The recordings are straight on with few overdubs and the audio very good - big, clear with fine separation. I don't know much about the groups involved or the label. Mugwumps later evolved into CCR and The Glass Family recorded an LP for Warner, but that's all I got. Hope someone reading this can tell more. However it is filled with killer psych tracks well reflecting the turned on scene back then. It's kind of an older brother to 1972 "Nuggets" compilation, not as comprehensive but all original press and in glorious mono. The stereo version was "douphonic", so I guess this has the primary mixes. I don't care much for Mugwumps Donovan cover, but apart from that it's all so good I can't pick a favorite - they all are. I know some young people with digital ears who find recordings like this too thin and simple, but for us who was there it's right on the spot. (SÄM*) (YZÄ*) (ÖXCÅ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar