onsdag 27 februari 2019

DAVID BOWIE/LOW PL 12030 (-77) UK

So far I've held back most of my Bowie records from the blog. Reasons are they already come with tons of info outside, but also so many emotions inside the tracks and myself, I find it hard to handle them within limit. Let's see how short I can keep this. Bowie was a spunge, always sucking up the latest from surrounding modes and artists and then making it his own in the best possible way. In this case influenced by German synthetists like Hans-Joachim Roedelius and Dieter Moebius, with Brian Eno as intermediate. Recorded at a time Bowie was depressed, back to Europe from his American adventure trying to quit cocaine. So a British artist down low, influenced by Germans and recording in France - in retrospective an ok snap-shot of arty Europe in the late seventies. Back then I was disappointed with his two former albums - "Young Americans" and "Station To Station" - cause I didn't understand his disco input and thought he was too white and too British for soul. Consequently this wasn't high on my list, but I got it as a freebee together with a stack of other records as a courtesy from a seller when buying a new stereo equipment. I still remember first spin and how it got to me. So odd yet so simple and down to earth I immediately fell in love...a feeling that have remained ever since. I don't play the instrumental flip very often, but side one gets me every time. Every single one of the seven tracks is strangely touching and put together confirming the thesis that the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts. In all its beautiful simplicity a timeless album, at least one that will stay with me till my time is done. Issued and reissued on every possible format all over the world through the years. First US on black RCA (CPL1-2030). UK 1991 CD on EMI (CDEMD 1027) came with three bonus tracks. Early UK had label as shown here in a thin matt cover with track credit sheet, some also including a "fan club" insert not with this copy. (PKÅ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar