fredag 15 februari 2019

DAVID BOWIE/SCARY MONSTERS BOW LP 2 (-80) UK

Sometimes when writing a post I have to reach down deep to find something interesting to handle in connection. Here it's the opposite - so much going through my mind I don't know where to start. Maybe with it was the last LP so far giving me goosebumps at very first listen. Record dealer told me he just got the new Bowie album and played the whole thing in the shop. Already at the "It's No Game" intro, with the count in and the desperate Japanese chant, I froze and and then stood put like a Lot's wife for the rest. That was thirtyeight years ago and the record still feels fresh, like a never ending story constantly offering new things to discover and enjoy. The perfect blend of catchy and experimental, melodic and daring, with lyrics going from explaining to unintelligible. At a point you can wonder what the hell is going on and just seconds later be caught in something warm and familiar. And what a crew it was. Apart from Bowies usual expert trio Carlos Alomar, Dennis Davies and George Murray also Robert Fripp (King Crimson), Roy Bittan (E Street Band) and Pete Townshend (The Who) among others. All supervised by studio wiz Tony Visconti. Recorded layer on layer with some strata almost hidden deep below, hard to immediatley detect but crucial for the entirety. Impossible for me to pick favorite tracks. Once I set the needle to the vinyl I'm stuck and can't stop till the last note is played...then feeling both shaken and stirred in the best possible way. Issued and reissued on every possible format through the years, some with bonus tracks. Premiere UK had label as shown here and thin matt cover with folded lyric insert. (PKÅ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar