fredag 1 mars 2019

PAUL JONES/PRIVILEGE CSD 3623 (-67) UK STEREO

Soon after posting the US mono issue of this I lost it in a trade, convinced I'd find a replacement later on. I took two years and then turned up as this UK stereo instead, but why not. Though a soundtrack and most of all a Mike Leander record (the guy who produced, arranged and wrote most of the songs) and Jones himself only sings on four of the tracks - the rest instrumental or with vocals by George Bean Group - it's mostly billed as a Paul Jones record and that's how it works for me. The soundtrack is to a Peter Watkins movie I'm almost sure I saw back then. As I recall a kind of 1984ish dystopia taking place in the then futuristic seventies, where a pop singer is used for political purposes to control and manipulate the masses. Don't remember any special scenes or mindblowing parts so I guess it didn't leave a lasting impression on me. As a whole not a minblowing LP, but I do get two of his best solo efforts - "Privilege" and "I've Been A Bad Bad Boy" - so good enough. This stereo is a very good mix and the audio clear and separated, but why all that reverb??? It's almost crippling and take away most of the pleasure from listening. Best listening if you want a stereo compilation of about everything good solo he did in the sixties is the Swedish 1968 "The Best Of Paul Jones", where you get both the hits and a couple of rarities - https://monolover.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-best-of-paul-jones-ssx-1056-68.html . A must for all Paul Jones fans still out there. This was also originally issued in Scandinavia, US and Canada (UNI 7/3005), Germany (Vouge LDVS 17136), France (Disques Vouge CINT 40039)and Italy (CGD FG 5035). 2012 CD on Real Time (RTCD 1014). Premiere UK had label as shown here and laminated flip/back cover with EMI ad inner. (MÄNÄ*) (ZÖNT*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar