söndag 17 mars 2019

CLARENCE CARTER/THIS IS CLARENCE CARTER SD 8192 (-68) US

A couple of years ago as my interest for American sixties soul was reawakened I got a new start with some renowned stars as Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Sam & Dave, Arthur Conley and the Motown gang. Very good indeed, yet after getting in closer and finding more and more tophole black soul I didn't have a clue about before I'm starting to realise what an extensive genre it is and that my time here may be too short for any attempt to a blanket screening. But I can live with that as long as gems like this keeps showing up. Still learning about his background and carreer myself from this wikipedia article - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Carter . If interested it's better you go there than me copying assorted facts...or just read the liner notes below. This was his debute album, built by a mix of single tracks - four A:s and two B:s - and ones recorded solely for the LP. Anyway made it all sounds pleasant to my ears. His voice is touching - dark and rich, fitting both ballads and power soul - and the backing emotionally supportive. I'm surprised the record wasn't a bigger success back then and that it isn't mentioned more today, cause it has everything needed to be a hit - tophole vocals carried by a proficient band and a number of great songs. My favorites are the uptempo ones - "Looking For A Fox", "I'm Qualified", "Funky Fever" and "She Aint Gonna Do Right" - but it's all good listening and a keeper for sure. Also originally issued on Atlantic in Canada, Germany, UK and as US mono promo. First US stock release had label as shown here and glossy cover. (YZÄ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar