måndag 24 september 2012

SANTANA S 63815 (-69) UK

From the beginning a San Fransisco live jam band, discovered by manager and concert arranger Bill Graham. They were invited to play at Woodstock and at about the same time recorded this debute. It was Graham who persuaded them to drop some of the jamming and start to write regular songs for the album. Co-produced by Carlos Santana and Brent Dangerfield, the latter being responsible for most Santana issues since as producer and engineer. I fancy most of their seventies stuff and I'm not comparing musical quality, but this has the performance and audio I like best. Part of the recordings have some kind of primal live feeling reflecting their early stage acts. (I have been reminded I saw them at a UK concert early seventies, but due to circumstances back then my memories of the act are very vague...I do remember something wild and catching, but no details.) The sound is also simpler and more direct than on later recordings - there seems to be fewer overdubs and and it all comes through more natural and down to earth. Later in the seventies many productions moved towards the blown-up and grandiose, but I still prefer the smaller, intimate ones. First US on Columbia (CS 9781). Originally released as stereo or mono in many countries. I had an Argentine mono for a while - unbalanced fold-down and not very enjoyable. Earliest UK with label as seen here, thick unflexible vinyl and SBPG matrix, laminated cover with rec. no. above logo and large rectangle lower back.

2 kommentarer:

  1. Fantastic record. An usual mixture of psychedelic rock, blues and a touch of Latin music that works very well. They never bettered this, IMO.

    This is a very good sounding pressing too (and I'm usually not a big fan of UK CBS pressings of American recordings). Have yet to hear a Columbia 2-eye with handwritten West Coast matrices but this will certainly do. A UK copy with A1/B1 matrices is still easily found around here. A nice clean copy can be had for less than 10 bucks.

    SvaraRadera
  2. That's about what I payed for this. Not often you get an early UK press with great music for that kind of money :)

    I agree original US Columbia beats CBS on most issues. Original UK stuff goes much better with the label.

    SvaraRadera