söndag 2 september 2012

ROXY MUSIC /GREATEST HITS 2302 073 (-77) UK

This post is about one particular track and an exemple of my everlasting hunt for best audio. I seriously fell for Roxy Music when I first heard their debute. Some earlier numbers from Bowie or Bolan may be described as glam psych, but this was the only full fledged album of the genre. I also loved "Pyjamarama", their second non-LP single. I had a problem with the sound quality of the '45 though, somewhat muddy and lo-fi. When the group took a break 1976 and moved their stuff to Polydor, the new label re-issued all recordings with much better audio, including this compilation. It was issued all over the world with about the same wrapping and tracking and is very common, but being an average mad collector I wanted UK first, complete and in unplayed condition - and that proved almost impossible. It took me years to find, but when I did it was worth the wait and the $8 I paid. All tracks have better audio than the Island pressings and especially "Pyjamarama", which had been remixed for this. Finally I can hear all layers and nuances of that cut and it's a beauty. Have tried other later digitalized edits of the song, but they don't even come close. I may also mention the 4:20 version of "The Thrill Of It All" is unique to this compilation. US issue on ATCO (SD 38-103). First UK release with thick, fully laminated cover and hard, glossy pic/ad inner. Sometimes I question myself spending so much time on this. It is rewarding now and again, but is it really worth the effort? (ÄNÖ*) 


 

                                                                               




4 kommentarer:

  1. Interesting. I may well have one of these in the recordstore where I work parttime.

    Though I'm not a big fan of RM, I noticed a similarity with King Crimson (who were also with EG). The late 70's UK Polydor reissues really do sound quite good, and I'll be hard pressed to upgrade them with UK Pink Islands/Rims, when opportunity knocks.

    I would like to address your last question; I recognise this kind of "obsessive" pressing/condition hunting very well. For me, it comes and goes in waves, but it does occupy my life for a large part. Thru the years, it has become much harder for me to find something that really pleases me, but -on the other hand- when it's good, it's really good.

    Is it all worth it? At the end of the day, I'd say yes. It's fun to have goals, no matter how insignificant in the granter scale of things. It's fun to own things. And it can be fun to obsess over minor differences. I cherish my collection but try to think and talk lightheartily about it.

    The thing with fantastic record collections is, who owns who? I've met a few man out there who are/were obsessed with their collections, and pretty much forged their whole identity around them. The record collection owns THEM, not the other way around. I tend to sympathise with those guys, but I could neither be one of them, nor hang around them too long. It's much more healthy to have occupations/interests outside of record collecting as well.

    Anyway, I'm getting way too philosophical on a Monday night... :)

    SvaraRadera
  2. Of course it's worth it :) It's hard to imagine a more rewarding hobby. Interesting what You say about ownership. I got friends who wouldn't part with even one record if their life depended on it, but to me it's all about the music and the audio. I gladly part with any vinyl I don't fancy if it gets me something better. The Brazil "Wings Wild Life" mono (tweaked reduction)paid some very expensive dental work and the Genesis mono (wich I got cheap and truly hated - sounded good though and not a plain fold-down)got me a stack of UK monos, among them "Arthur").

    I can recommend the Polydor stuff, but don't pay too much. They're not that common anymore, but when they show up no one seems interested.

    And there is a Crimson connection to 1:st RM as it was produced by Peter Sinfield. That's what makes it so great and different to anything else - the best of both worlds.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Same here. I do easily get rid of records -expensive or cheap- if I feel they do not serve my needs anymore.

    I actually have a mixture of KC UK Polydor's and UK Islands. My favourite pressing of "In the Court of" -however- is the German blue Columbia (or Dutch Stateside, same cutting). I've seen my fair share of RM orig UK's come by in the store, but never the first album. That's the only I still would like to have.

    SvaraRadera
  4. Never heard Dutch or German Court, but thanks for the tip. I:st RM UK exists with two different matrixes. Cover and label is the same, but some were leased to German plants. (I will post on that later and explain why). UK pressings have same matrix no. as rec no. I don't mind wich one, but for some it seems important.

    SvaraRadera