torsdag 13 september 2012

PINK FLOYD/RELICS SRS 5071 (-71) UK

People often call me stubborn when it comes to music. I like what I like and stick with the old ways - original mixes, analog, primitive and close. But with this I have changed my mind only recently since I posted the Dutch "Best of..." compilation    https://monolover.blogspot.com/2012/06/best-of-pink-floyd-5c054-04299-71-dutch.html    . Had copies of it from first release, but never really liked it. I wanted the mono mixes but got stereo re-mixes and a few fakes, so I haven't played it for decades. Now when I hear it suddenly it's not that bad and even quite interesting. The two re-channeled tracks sounds good and "See Emily Play" also totally different from the re-channelling made for the Dutch collection. "Biding My Time" had it's first release here and there are also three rare B-sides in true stereo - "Julia Dream" having another, shorter version than the original mono. In comparison to Dutch "Best Of..." it has a darker tone with more base, but not as good separation. I may prefer the Dutch, but only because of the "Apples And Oranges" stereo mix. This is good in its own way and together they stand very strong. US 1:st on Capitol (SW-759) with a totally different cover - issued all over the world in the seventies with variations of either the UK or US wrapping. UK 1:st with dark blue label as shown here - "The Grammophone Co Ltd" on left side (later has "EMI records Ltd" ), thick vinyl and a structured thin cover (later has matt cover). Subsequently also issued on UK MFP label with red title on front. (PÅX*)(SXS*)

4 kommentarer:

  1. Hi - iwould like to join your blog as it is recommended by prof stoned.
    Hope to hear from you soon

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Hi mate! This is open to anyone who wants to check or comment. No joining or membership needed :) You can register as a followwer but that's about it.

      Have a nice day

      Erik

      Radera
  2. I've owned a copy of this UK pressing(B-1/B-1) too, alongside my Dutch copy on the budget Emidisc label. Then one day, I talked to a big Floyd fan and he told me that in his opinion the Dutch pressing sounded quite a bit better than the orig. UK.

    This I had to hear for myself, of course. But he was right. The UK sounded like it was a couple generations removed from mastertapes, while the Dutch one held up pretty well. Maybe not surprising considering this was originally an American compilation, thus compiled from the 2 or 3rd generation US masters, before being copied again for the foreign market.

    I also own a late 70's Capitol copy with the US sleeve. That one sounds good too, though different from the Emidisc. I couldn't pick a clear winner, so I kept both.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Maybe me being more positive about this lately has to do with my ears getting older :) But I still think it's worth having. Although the Dutch sounds better I find they complete eachother, and seriously - there was not much competition elsewhere.

    SvaraRadera