lördag 15 september 2012

STEELEYE SPAN/TEMPTED AND TRIED ADD 9 (-89) UK

Music and records have always been a big part of my life and sometimes even with a healing function. This LP really made a difference some decades ago. Steeleye Span was a favorite in the late seventies. First a rather traditional UK folk-group in the shadow of Fairport Convention, but changed style from 1975 "All Around My Hat" album, adding up-tempo drumming and giving more space to the lovely Maddy Prior and her strong, cheeky voice. They got a break-through and next albums were big sellers. I followed for a while, but with "Back In Line" LP and its moog backing I gave up (believe me - English folk rock and all synths doesn't add). Later, in the early nineties, I was in a very bad place. After years of night shifts at the hospital, day time studies and hardly any sleep I got a serious burnout and forced to a long sick leave. Suddenly thrown into limbo I started to feel depressed and the future seemed dark. However one day the radio played "Padstow" and only after a few bars I could feel the gloom scatter. They were back and it was so good. It sounded like something from their best period - positive and melodic, with Maddy Prior in top shape - and I devoured the joy. Bought the album later that day and it was more of the same. I played it over and over and almost drove my girlfriend crazy, but it truly picked me up...and still do sometimes when I'm low. Don't know of any US release, but it had contemporary issues on both LP and CD in many countries. Early UK with label as shown here, thin glossy cover and glossy lyric inner. (BRYF*) (FÄV*)(SÖPX*) 

                                                                                 
                                                                                 
                                                                            

                                                                                 

                                                                                  

                                                                                  

                                                                              







 



4 kommentarer:

  1. Wow!-A fellow Steeleye Span fan who goes beyond "All Around My Hat". I like this album a lot too. Especially 'Padstow'. I loved the next one too: "Time". Check out the song 'Old Maid in the Garrett/Tam Lin Reel". A recent album that I thought was good was "Bloody Men". My favorite album was probably "Parcel Of Rouges"-Mike

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I haven't heard "Time" but if it's like this I will try it. I like POR too, but my absolute favorites are "All Around My Hat" and "Commoners Crown" - common choice I know, but they make me happy. Have You heard the one Prior made with Jethro Tull - Woman In The Wings? Very good!

      Radera
  2. Oh yeah-My copy of T & T was a US CD issued on Shanachie. A US folk label that reissued a lot of Span's albums in the 80's and 90's. Another great song is 'Samain' on "They Called Her Babvylon".-Mike

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thanks for the info. It's here now if anyone likes to know.

      Radera