torsdag 6 september 2012

BILLY COBHAM/SPECTRUM K40506 (-74) UK

I've never been a big fan of the jazz/fusion fluorishing in the seventies. Too much of it was about showing off, playing fast and being deep. It never caught me and half-way through a fifteen minute guitar solo my mind would drift and I started to think about dinner or what to do later in the evening. When listening to music I want to feel involved, but that was more like watching creatures doing strange thing and be amazed. So I never touch that genre - this album being the one exception. With all numbers credited to drummer Cobham, but many being result of studio-jams, and every one from the personnel top names of their instruments at the time it could have been awkward and introvert, but it's not. I mean - they play like ekvibrilists and some of the licks sounds impossible, but there are also fine melodies, touching harmonies and lots of good humor. It's a happy album and one I never get tired of. Favorite cut "Quadrant 4". I guess former Beatles engineer Ken Scott had a lot to do with getting such a fine result, as recording engineer and handeling the re-mix. Balance and audio is perfect and the whole thing just sounds lovely. Recorded in Electric Lady N.Y.C and re-mixed at Trident studios London. (More on Ken Scott here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Scott ) First issued in US (Atlantic SD 7268). I believe this is the first UK issue, with label as shown here and a thin, matt f/o cover. Click list below for all credits.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar