lördag 29 september 2012

THE WHO/TOMMY 613 013/014 (-69) UK

By many regarded a forerunner and true classic. It 's much rewarded, on about every magazine or net list with best, greatest or most influencial album and has been called "first rock opera". I bought it on arrival and was very impressed. In retrospective not so much by the songs - more from the large project and the hype. We were also told BBC and US radio stations denied air-play because of the partly controversial lyrics and that was exciting to us. Inspiration for the plot came mainly from Meher Baba - Indian mystic, preaching silence and withdrawal. Townshend has also pointed out Pretty Things "SF Sorrow" and Mark Wirtz's "Teenage opera" as structural influences together with songs by Sonny Boy Williamson, Jimi Hendrix, Zombies and Kinks. The set is grand, including overture and conclusion, with a multitude of instruments and overdubs. It did not top any big list at first - Billboard #4 and UK #2 - and nor did any of the singles from it, but since it has sold in excess of 20 million. There's so much information and thoughts about it everywhere and even books written, but let's get down to what matters - the music. I'm not overwhelmed - the set-up is lofty, the cover stunning and the ideas great, but there's not enough good songs. All '45 tracks - "Christmas", "Pinball Wizzard", "I'm Free" and "See Me, Feel Me" and a few more are classics, but I can't help seeing a lot as being there just to enhance the operatic structure, and that's not very exciting today (a year after this "Jesus Christ Superstar" perfected the new genre and set higher standards  https://monolover.blogspot.com/2022/08/jesus-christ-superstar-mkps-201112-70-uk.html ). Kit Lambert made his best production so far and in spite of all re-makes and overdubs the audio is totally OK. First US on Decca DL 75126-27/DXSW 7205). Earliest UK with flat matt label as shown here, laminated triple f/o and numbered booklet. (WÖH*)(TRÄC*)(RÖKÖ*)

6 kommentarer:

  1. Very exciting :-) One of my favourite albums! 'Tommy' change my life.
    8181 - nice number, very early. I think it's expensive copy.

    Wojtek.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hi Wojtek! Yes it was a big thing when it first came out :) The book had many UK editions, but as far as I know only the first was numbered...and I still don't know how many of that they made.

    I bought most of my copies long time ago before it all rocketed and don't keep track of values, but I see some of the prizes today on records and it's crazy. I could never afford buying them today :)

    SvaraRadera
  3. I got lucky with this one. A couple years back, I found these two records in an original German sleeve in unplayed condition. Have since found an original sleeve to match. This sounds beautiful, but I am always a little bit afraid to play it; only on special occasions.

    I've loved this record since I was an infant. And it continues to thrill me when I hear it. This is truly a divine masterpiece. Period.

    SvaraRadera
  4. Indeed a lucky swap. Gotta be next to impossible to find this with mint records and cover. I'm happy with my VG+ and don't think I'll ever find better. btw Having more time than money I use same method - for my "Bare Wires" mono it took over two years till I found a mint cover to the record and ended up paying $15 alltogether for a top copy.

    SvaraRadera
  5. My cover is only VG. But I'd never have been this lucky if I hadn't been working as "chief 2nd hand vinyl" at the local record store over the last couple years. Got a couple nice collectable records in my collection that are currently without a sleeve as well. Patience is a virtue...

    SvaraRadera
  6. Yes it is and if you can get a top copy for 10% of its value it's well worth the wait. Time is on my side...

    SvaraRadera