lördag 20 april 2013

YES 588 190 (-69) UK

My first Yes LP was "The Yes Album" wich really floored me back then. I went on buying all releases up to "Tormato", listening and investigating every twist and turn. Dazed by the work of Steve Howe and Rick Wakeman I never looked back on the groups earlier work. It was much later I discovered what a fantastic debute this was. The sound and style is already there, but less calculated and more sincere. Early prog with jazzy elements, tempo changes and odd chord sequences, still melodic with pleasant vocal harmonies. There's very nice guitar licks and Peter Banks (1947-2013) does not stand back to Steve Howe. In fact Banks can be seen as a forerunner in prog guitar play on this album. His use of octaves and blend of jazz and rock helped forming a style that has been much copied through the years, not least by Howe. The two covers - "I See You" and "Every Little Thing" - are total re-makes and fits nicely with the six self-penned tracks. The idea of making bombastic arrangements to simple pop songs may have come from Vanilla Fudge and there's also elements reminding of early King Crimson, but the performance comes through all original. Early US on Atlantic with different cover (SD 4283). First UK on plum label with "588 190" number, cover is glossy f/o with pics and info inside, some with lyric insert. (JÄZ*)(ÄTHP*)

7 kommentarer:

  1. In my opinion it's one of the better albums they ever recorded by Yes. I prefer this debut much more than records made after 1973.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I agree their best period was 1969-73. It was all new and fresh and the group totally outstanding

      Radera
    2. By the way - in 1969 first album realised Elton John and I think it's his best record. I'm looking for original LP on DJM label but It's very hard to find. There's only later press on Ebay (with bloody red vinyl under artificial light). Very underrated title!!

      Radera
    3. About Yes - you're absolutely right! 1969-73 it was fantastic period for this group!

      Radera
    4. Yes the very first "Empty Sky" press can be very hard to find. It was re-issued a few times in the seventies, but the first has some special features. I guess You have seen my earlier post on it.

      http://monolover.blogspot.se/search?q=elton+john

      I hope You will be lucky finding it...maybe even in mono!

      Radera
    5. Thank you! It's very interesting. Later press with matrix A2/B3 is very similary to 1st press and it's easy to mistaken.
      But in my opinion it's great album. Naive? No, it's more progressive (Val-Hala or Gulliver...), psychedelic (Lady What's Tomorrow) and folky (Hymn 2000). But my favourite is very simple but melodic as hell 'Western Ford Getaway'.

      Later Elton had tendencies to 'Americanize' his music.

      Radera
    6. That's "naive" in a good way. The lack of experience and calculation is what makes it. A lot more honest than some of his later stuff.

      Radera