lördag 11 augusti 2012

FAIRPORT CONVENTION/ UNHALFBRICKING ILPS 9102 (-69) UK

The album was recorded during difficult times for the group. Drummer 18 y.o. Martin Lamble and guitarist Richard Thomsons girlfriend had just been killed in a car crash and they were all in shock. The back cover picture of them sitting around the table (second pic below) was taken soon after and according to bassist Ashley Hutchings he was still wearing the same bloodstained clothes as in the accident.(At least that is one of the legends surrounding this album and a story I have cherished for some time, but according to comments below it may not be true - just a legend). At about the same time they got an invite from Dylans English publisher and offered numbers from then unissued "Basement Tapes" sessions. The group listened to the complete work and loved it, but settled with three numbers - "Percys Song", "MIllion Dollar Bash" and "If You Gotta Go, Go Now" (here with French lyrics and re-titled "Si Tu Dois Partir"). To my taste this is the best they ever did. Apart from the Dylan covers - of wich "Percys Song " is downright hypnotic - it also has Sandy Dennys all time classic "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" and four more top numbers. The sound quality is perfect - big, strong, direct and authentic, you can almost imagine the studio design just by listening. Production is mainly credited to Joe Boyd, American producer who among other things opened first London psychedelic hangout "The UFO Club", produced Pink Floyds early recordings and worked with English folk-rock artists in the sixties. UK first release with label as shown here and a thin, matt cover. US -69 issue on A&M (SP 4206) with same tracking, but different "elephant" cover. Also on CD in Japan 1987 (Polystar P32D-25025) and UK -90 (Island IMCD 61). (BRYF*)(FÄV*)(ÖSÄP*) (FÄHZ*)

10 kommentarer:

  1. Hi there.

    Great and very interesting page.
    Just one thing - picture on back cover was taken BEFOR crash. Second from right it's Martin Lamble. Ashley Hutchings is first from right.
    Please take a look on line-up above track list. Martin Lamble is still there.

    I apologise for my poor English.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank You for Your comment. I wont argue with what place around the table. It's hard to get a clear veiw of their faces, but I checked with other contemporary pics of Hutchings and he was the most look-alike. But if You're sure he's the first on the right - I'll change it.

      About the picture - I read this qoute:

      Ashley Hutchings also said in relation to the album cover photograph:

      "My memory of it is bound up with the terrible car crash. On the back cover we're all eating around a table. The shirt and the leather waistcoat I'm wearing are what I had on when the crash happened. I can clearly remember them being bloodstained. You don't forget things like that."

      So I have to rely on that.

      Kindly/Erik

      Radera
  2. It is very interesting. I am sure that second person from right it's Lamble Martin. Take a look on his hair. Description 'The shirt and the leather waistcoat' suit to first person from right. I can't argue :-) Maybe Hutchings made mistake? After all those years he would forget. Or maybe I am wrong and this picture was taken after crash but I have always thought it was taken before (where is Dave Swarbrick?).

    I hope you understand my English :-)

    All the best!

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yes I understand and thank You for telling. As You can see I have changed the post and don't say anything about who sits where anymore. I think that's the safest :)

      About the picture I can not read that qoute any other way. Do You have any proof it was taken earlier? I will leave that for time being.

      I don't think Swarbick is on the picture since he wasn't a member of the group.

      I hope we can agree it is a great LP with beautiful vocals from Sandy Denny and top sound.

      Radera
    2. Answering your last question - yes, I love this album! I have it in my heart! Songs like 'Genesis Hall', 'Autopsy' and 'Percy's Song' I've listened a hundred times.

      No, I don't have any proof. It's only my opinion. Line-up on back cover shows Martin Lamble as a drummer and this person between Richard Thompson and Ashley Hutchings looks like this young drummer :-)

      'Unhalfbricking' was recorded before crash and I've always thought pictures on cover (on front and back) was taken before accident. Wikipedia says that the album was recorded between January and April, crash was on May - only two month before album was released.

      Maybe when Hutchings said 'I can clearly remember them being bloodstained' he means moment of crash?

      It doesn't matter :-)) This album is masterpiece! And your page is amazing! I always read your new posts with attention.

      Greetings
      Wojtek.

      Radera
    3. Yes You may be right he's just connecting the crash with the picture because of the clothes he was wearing. I don't know, but even if the album was recorded before the accident the picture could have been taken later just before the first release. It's an interesting matter, but I think I just leave it open. The comments are here if anyone wants to see.

      It's a top ten album in my collection - not a bad track :)

      Thanks again Wojtek, this is exactly the kind of discussions I want here.

      Radera
  3. I always have dilemma which album is better 'What We Did On Our Holidyas' or 'Unhalfbricking' :-) 'Unhalfbricking' is more sophisticated, I think.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yes and I like Sandy Dennys vocals a lot better on this. Plus it has top sound - so close and natural.

      Radera
  4. It was amazing - three albums within one year (1969) and each was in top quality. Late 60's and early 70's it was the best period in pop (rock) music.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I agree. As You can see most albums I post here are from that period.

      Radera