måndag 27 augusti 2012

EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER/TRILOGY ILPS 9186 (-72) UK

This is my favorite ELP album. Although it has classical influences and a progressive touch, the emphasis is on "ordinary" songs with attractive melodies and elaborated lyrics. While apparently Emerson had the lead on most of their albums, it seems like Greg Lake is behind a lot of this. I've always thought the secret behind the groups success was the mix between Emersons adventurous arty experiments and Lakes simple, but beautiful, melodies - and on here the balance is perfect. The mix and audio is top notch - Greg Lake produced, but I suspect studio engineer Eddie Offord had a lot to do with the final result (for more on him check my post on their debute). The title track of the album also brings back a lot of memories to me. When this first hit the shops I was in my late teens and had just been dumped by my first true love. I was depressed and totally stunned, but that song really opened the tear channels. I remember sitting in a folding chair with the cover pressed to my lap, listening and weeping uncontrollably and for a long time I couldn't hear the song without getting my eyes all wet. There has been many lost loves since and many more sad songs, but that is the one that hit me hardest. First US issue on Cotillon (SD 9903). Early UK releases with label as shown here, hard matt f/o cover and blue custom inner. (ÄPY*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar