måndag 10 februari 2014

THE FEDERALS/SOLIST : TONY BOLTON EDE 0202 (-65) MONO ROMANIA

Don't know much about this band. Formed early sixties in Watford, UK and got signed by Parlophone 1963. They released a couple of '45:s up to 1965, with a style much reminding of contemporary The Tornados and at least a few cuts produced by George Martin. But non of them sold and the group dissolved soon after. One of many aspiring bands at the time that didn't make it and either reshaped in some way or just disappeared. I don't have a clue why they 1965 made an LP in Romania, who set it up, circumstances for recording or exactly who Tony Bolton was. All cuts are exclusive to this issue. One - "Love, Love, Love" - written by the band, the rest covers. Bolton has a nice voice, uneducated but with personal charm and the harmonies together with the other singer Frank Milne works well. Backing is tight, but sometimes sounding unrehersed with quite a few flubs and flaws showing there were no retakes or cover-ups. I like the three Lennon/McCartney songs best, especially "World Without Love" - direct, almost naked with nice vocals and basic organ. A fine exemple of early sixties UK beat, with one notable difference. If made in UK it would have been treated with some kind of compression/limiter device, equalizing the parts in volume and level, making it somewhat softer and easier to handle. Apparently no such things were used on this and the outcome sounds 100% authentic - very dynamic with all rough edges still there. The pressing and audio is just fine and all together a very good listen. Only issued in Romania. Label variations exist, but as far as I understand this yellow type was first. It came on heavy unflexible vinyl with thin glossy cover. (BÅC*)(ÖGÄ*)(BRBÄ*)

14 kommentarer:

  1. That was shortest vacation in history ;-)
    Tony Selvidge it's Tony Kaye - later Yes keyboard player.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Wow I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I searched for members further connection with other groups, but didn't find anything. Do You know more?

      Radera
    2. No, I don't. I've read about this group a few years ago in some book. Even I've never heard this album :-)

      Radera
    3. OK but it was nice to learn about Tony Kaye :)

      Radera
  2. Hi, My dad was the originnal keyboard player, Tony Banks.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Hi, My dad was the originnal keyboard player, Tony Banks.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Hi Cheryl!

      Thanks for Your comment. So was Tony Banks the Federals keyboard player before Tony Selvidge? Or was it another alias. I guess it's not the same Tony Banks as in Genesis.

      Radera
  4. The rhythm guitarist in my band and I both went to the same school in the same year and were friends with Tony Bolton. Later, the two bands had quite friendly relations (around 1962-64). I can recall Tony telling me that two of the Federals were ex-Savages. I think the lead guitar was one of them. My band featured a Clavioline and we covered a lot of Tornados stuff. Tony not only played piano, but also TWO Claviolines at the same time! At this time Tony was the keyboard player and lead vocalist. The rest of the line-up was bass, drums, two guitars and trumpet. I guess the Roumania story is well-known. A couple of years ago, I discovered Tony on Facebook, living near Marbella, Spain, running his own radio show. I didn't make contact, but kept a casual eye on him until 2017, when he suddenly disappeared from Facebook. I don't know the significance of that....

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thanks a million for those additional facts. Very interesting and a great help for anyone deep into rock history. But who are You? Would help even more if we knew.

      Radera
  5. Thank You Tonyk! I will look into that.

    That is one of the best things with having this blog...I learn so much more.

    SvaraRadera
  6. There is a full page article with photo about The Federals in the October 1963 Beat Instrumental magazine which can be found at https://worldradiohistory.com/UK/Beat-Instrumental/6310-Beat-Instrumental-1963-10-OCR.pdf

    SvaraRadera
  7. Very interesting facts. Thank You Nigel!

    SvaraRadera
  8. Brian Hawkins lives outside Toronto Ontario Canada and continues to perform as part of a band called "Turning Point"

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Nice to know. Thanks for the info.

      Radera