fredag 13 juli 2012

TIME OF THE ZOMBIES EPC 68262 (-73) UK MONO + STEREO

I bet all Zombies lovers already knows about this classic 2 LP compilation, but it's still worth mentioning since being valuable in so many ways. Record two has the entire "Odyssey and Oracle" LP, stereo version. Record one, side 1, is a collection of eight hit single tracks, all with their original mono mixes. But the most interesting is record one, side 2, having eight tracks originally meant for a US follow-up album to the Odyssey LP. That never saw release since the group didn't actually exist at this time and new formation "Argent" was already in the making. Four of the songs were released on '45:s 1969, but the rest had their first issue on this compilation. Considering the stress under wich it was made and the hurried handeling of the result, it is surprising the songs still come through so strong today. "Imagine the Swan" is outstanding and the rest almost as good - some could have placed on Odyssey LP and some points forward to first "Argent" setting. So what you get here is a fine '45 collection, re-issue of a rare masterpiece album and top class previously un-released tracks. That's what I call a fine compilation. All tracks had later release on CD:s, but for us vintage lovers, prefering analog, it's a very good deal. Premiere UK had labels as shown here, matt fold/out cover and CBS ad inners. (ZÖZ*)(PÖP*)

9 kommentarer:

  1. I have this too. It is indeed a very nice album. Not easy to find cheaply in nice condition these days, but still much more affordable than an original UK O&O.

    I would argue that the current vinyl release of O&O on Big Beat sounds better than this (or an UK original). According to the sleeve, it is an all-analog cutting from the original mastertapes. This is one of the few instances where I actually prefer the stereo mix over the mono (with the obvious exception of This will be our year).

    SvaraRadera
  2. I'm not sure wich one You mean here. Of the orig. UK O&O issues mono is the one, way better than the stereo and also the one professionally made. The stereo version is a haste work made by amateurs. Stereo have been re-made later with an improved results I know, but haven't heard the BB issue. Whatever have been done later, I can never put that before the original mono - wich was the first one made, the one the group originally listened to and approved. Even if later issues sounds better in some ways, that will always be the one for me. I know it's an emotional argument, but I think You understand :)

    SvaraRadera
  3. Of course, it comes down to a personal preference. To me, the mono is a bit too compressed sounding. In 1967, shortly after delivering the mono mix, CBS forced White and Argent into preparing a stereo mix as well (at their own cost!). This mix was not done by an outsider and is very much representative of the band's vision, be it slightly different from the mono. This is the only stereo mix that exists, and the one used on both the CBS & Big Beat releases (although TWOY received its first ever stereo mix in 1997 - albeit without the brass solo- which appears on the BB vinyl rather than the fake stereo version).

    SvaraRadera
  4. What I meant was just that. Mono was made by studio pros while group members were stressed to prepare the stereo at a later occation. I can't argue with Your preference here - we like what we like - but I don't agree the original mono sounding compressed. I take You have tried playing it with round stylus. I find monos always sounds better with those.

    SvaraRadera
  5. Yes, but then it was only recorded on 4-track by a great engineer (Geoff Emerick). Most of the mixing had already been done by him. I think more compression (in addition to what was already used during the pre-mixing) was added during the final mixing stage of the mono mix, while the stereo was just a straight mixdown from the tracks without much ado. I obviously wasn't present but that's what my ears tell me. Kinda of the same thing with Beatles for Sale, the stereo mix was finished in 10 minutes and so to some people sounds better because of what WASN'T done to it.

    Anyway, please just wanted a expand a bit. Hope that's okay.

    SvaraRadera
  6. Expanding threads is always good here :) I bought my first UK stereo -69 and was never pleased with that. Decades later when I found the mono it was such a relief. I always thought it was a good LP, but with the mono I could enjoy it fully for the very first time. It felt a lot more authentic and fit me perfectly.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Maybe I should explain further. To me certain mixes just feels right, like they are done with the music and the artists intentions in mind. Others seems unsensitive and costructed - and that was exactly what I felt about this stereo, even if it was made by the group members themselves.

      Radera
  7. Listening to mono LP now. It's certainly not bad sounding, not overcompressed either. I could happily listen to this all the time. Except for those edits in Care of Cell 44, one of my fav songs...

    SvaraRadera
  8. Seems we're on the same page about the mono. Talking about Cell 44 - I never heard the singles, but I've always assumed they were the same mixes as on this. In any case it's a top LP, I like every single track. Fun to have a proper discussion about it. The only guy I knew in r/l who had the UK mono didn't even understand what a mix was :)

    SvaraRadera