onsdag 4 juli 2012

HUMBLE PIE/TOWN AND COUNTRY IMSP 027 (-69) UK

The bands 2nd LP, still with a gentler style, containing a mix of blues, country and pop ballads. After this they would move to A&M label and go all heavy. Towards the end of -69 Immediate was facing bankruptcy and this album was rushed to get it out soon enough to save the label. The recordings had been made at the beginning of the year, but legal obligations due to Framptons old contract delayed release. However the issue came too late to rescue and the label was put down. This also halted pressing, promotion and further issues. So the first UK batch was the only one originally made, but other European releases started to show up during the second half of the seventies on other labels. As far as I know there was no US release. It is a nice album, not their best but 3-4 tracks stands out and Marriots vocals are always right - my favorite track - "Every Mothers Son". Premiere UK had label as shown here and thing glossy cover with credit/lyric inner. (YDÄ*)(SXÅH*)

6 kommentarer:

  1. This is actually one early Robert Ludwig cutting! Check for the small written signature RL SS (=Sterling Sound) on both sides of the wax. Sounds a lot better than the orig UK of the first HB album, although I doubt whether a better mastering could have saved that record. Good music though.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yup it's there. Brings the issue up a notch :) UK Immediate releases shifted a lot in quality earlier. I don't like the Ogden mono at all and 2nd Nice is partly bad, but most Farlowe stuff sounds great.

      Radera
  2. Agreed that Ogdens will never be a great sounding album, but it is a stone classic. Right now, I'm enjoying the 2012 mono vinyl reissue. Sold my original for a nice sum after comparison.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. It is one of the great classics and I never get rid of mine. Is the re-issue better sounding? Reason I never liked the original is it's too loud, sound cracking in many places. Maybe that was adjusted. Interesting if so.

      Radera
    2. Don't expect the veil to be removed now all of a sudden. These recordings are what they are. That being said, I prefer the reissue for not being cut so hot as the original, and therefore giving much cleaner playback.

      Radera
    3. Cleaner playback works for me. I will check it out next time I see it.

      Radera