fredag 4 maj 2012

BEATLES/RUBBER SOUL PMC 1267 (-1/-1) "LOUD CUT"

I've seen a lot of negative things said about this one through the years on different forums - it being too loud, too thin vocals and so on. I beg to differ - to me it sounds beautiful! Listen to earlier UK mono stuff like "With the Beatles" or "A Hard Days Night" and this is the way they are - loud and pushy. Up to -65 Beatles recordings were rather simple without too many overdubs, but with this record things started to get more complicated with effects and more experimenting, still using 4 channels. That made it harder to get a perfect engraving, but by further use of compressors and limiters they could make the sound "smaller", a bit more leveled, and easier to handle during the mother/stamper/engraving phase. I think that's the difference between these two issues. "Loud Cut" is made the old fashion way, while later "official" versions have been tamed by that kind of equipment. If you compare the sound of the UK "With the Beatles" and "Revolver" monos you will get exactly the same difference as between the two Rubber Souls. The trick I use to make both good is using a round stylus and I don´t hear the thin vocals or muddy parts on LC, just a big bursting warm sound. I also finally get the "Michelle" back-ground quire separated from the rest - it almost sounds a little louder in the mix here - and that's worth a lot! (Look for copies with -1/-1 matrix) (BÄ*) (PÖX*) (LGÅ*)

2 kommentarer:

  1. Hi. Just found myself a Loud Cut at a flee market yesterday. The voices are as they where standing in my cave. Fabulous. Some instrumental parts are a bit sharp but again you get more a live concert feel. It's one of their best albums.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Thank You! At last someone except myself who fancy it. Otherwise I only see complaints. I prefer it over the regular one. A lot more power and better separation at most parts. "Norwegian Wood", "Drive My Car" and "Michelle" are killers here.

      Radera