söndag 27 maj 2012

BYRDS/YOUNGER THAN YESTERDAY BPG 62988 (-67) UK MONO

Great LP with many classic numbers and one of the best they did, but I have to say this UK mono doesn't work for me. Engraved with very high volume it sounds stressed and the base is so prominent at a few tracks it makes the rest sound squeeky. Apparently it uses the US mono tapes (COLUMBIA CL2642). I don't have access to a US original mono, but I wonder if that had the same problem (I know US issue has a strong base, but maybe not this overwhelming). Some is good though - "So You Want To Be a Rock'n'Roll Star" plays fine and a few others, but it would all be so much nicer with a calmer outcome. The original stereo is not a hit either so I guess I'm stuck with this for the time being. First UK had structured label with "33" and laminated cover. (XYGZ*)

2 kommentarer:

  1. Don't expect a miraculous difference from the US mono. It sounds a bit more defined and dynamic than the UK, but not exactly day and night.

    BTW, when you get the US mono, make sure it's a copy with handwritten matrices on both sides of the wax. The ones with a stamped matrix are considerately inferior sounding.

    SvaraRadera
  2. If I find it I will be sure to check the matrix. Thanks

    SvaraRadera