tisdag 27 februari 2018

TOMORROW PMC 7042 (-68) UK MONO

UK psych band, founded as "Four Plus One" and further using the names "The In-Crowd and "The Snarks" before settling as "Tomorrow" and as such existing about a year between springs -67 and -68 - then including drummer John "Twink" Adler (Pretty Things, Pink Fairies, Hawkwind), guitarist Steve Howe (Yes) and singer Keith West (most known for the world wide hit "Grocer Jack" from "A Teenage Opera"). Though popular on the live scene they never got a real breakthrough, much of it depending on bad luck it seems. 1966 hired - as "The In-Crowd" - for the club scene in Antonioni's "Blow-Up" movie, but sacked in favor of the more famed Yardbirds. 1967 they got a contract - as "The Snarks" - for the British comedy film "Smashing Time", but as John "Junior" Wood went ill they were replaced by Skip Bifferty. Then the release of this LP, recorded at the hight of British psych early 1967, was delayed about a year and sold in shops first when the hype was pretty much over. It didn't sell and as it was recorded on a low budget with producer - Mark P. Wirtz - spending most of the time away from the studio, preparing his "Teenage Opera" project, it could have remained a public flunk only embraced by mourning friends and oddity collectors, but after being frequently reissued through the years all over the world in mono and/or stereo on vinyl and CD it has found new appreciation and is now widely considered one of the best psych albums. I agree with that. This record has about everything I need from such - a mix of well produced and studio live, blending sweet and raw, yet catchy with many memorable moments. I like it all, but if I have to choose favorites it'd be the more melodic - "My White Bicycle", "Three Jolly Little Dwarfs", "Shy Boy" and "Auntie Mary's Dress Shop" - together with the impudent cover of "Strawberry Fields Forever". This mono is cut very loud, almost bursting at the seams. As I remember the original stereo - mixed by Beatles engineer Geoff Emerick - sounds somewhat smoother, providing more relaxed listening. Which you prefer is a matter of taste, but after reading an interview with Steve Howe where he said - "I like the mono better, cause that's how we sounded" - it's kind of evident even if the stereo comes with preferable audio. First US as "Tomorrow - Featuring Keith West" on Sire/London (SES 97012). Japan 2014 CD came with both mono and stereo versions plus 45 B-side "Claramount Lake" and "Grocer Jack" from "A Teenage Oprea". Premiere UK had label as shown here and laminated flip-back cover.(YMÖ*)(PÖX*) (JÄZ*)

14 kommentarer:

  1. Nice one! I recently purchased a heavyweight vinyl reissue of the mono version.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Hi Dan! Which one? I'm curious if that has the same burstingly loud audio as this, or if they've calmed it down a little.

      Radera
    2. It's a 2015 reissue that appears to me to be from Parlophone itself. Of course, I can't make the comparison! I thought it sounded good. Lemme give it another spin and try to remember to get back to you!

      Radera
    3. Thanks Dan! Maybe I'll try one after all...

      Radera
  2. I bought the Record Store Day reissue from a couple of years ago, pressed on black & white marbled vinyl. It's the mono pressing, but I still haven't unsealed it! Perhaps this weekend as, due to the snow, there's not much else going to be happening.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. If You decide to unseal and play, please let me know. Haven't seen any of those repressings here and I'm dying to know about the audio. If softer but still good I may try to get one.

      Radera
    2. There are a number of copies for sale on Discogs:

      https://www.discogs.com/Tomorrow-2-Featuring-Keith-West-Tomorrow/release/6912814

      Radera
    3. Yes I know, but I don't buy on net and certainly not before I know the audio.

      Radera
    4. Fair enough, but how are you going to find out how the reissue sounds? I haven't heard an original, so if I unseal my repress I won't know if it's 'softer' than the one you've heard. Surely it's all subjective? For the sake of less than $20 you could find out yourself. If it's worse, you could probably get most of your money back by re-selling it.

      Radera
    5. Believe You me the original mono is cut so loud you don't need scutinizing to distinguish. Just wanna know if it's good listening or it'll hurt the ears :)

      Stopped buying from the net around fifteen years ago. Lost too much money. Got a top local dealer who knows exactly what I want and I can also order new stuff through him if needed. It'll cost me a tiny bit more, but I always get a guarantee.

      Radera
    6. Dammit, I wish I could find a local dealer like that. I have used 3 of the record stores around my area for special orders, and they have all acted like they couldn't care less and didn't need the business etc., and therefore f*cked up in various ways on them, and I won't use them for special orders again. One of them did really well for some years but then became problematic. You're fortunate!

      Radera
    7. Yes I'm lucky having a dealer like that...not all in it for the money but also caring about the vinyls and customers. Big heart. You can find his Facebook page on my link list. Open Mind Records.

      Radera
  3. I played my RSD edition of this album over the weekend, and it is a bit louder than usual - I had to turn my amp down 1-2 marks. It does sound lovely, and it was great hearing My White Bicycle without the mad panning.

    SvaraRadera
  4. Thanks Gary. Just "a bit" louder sounds ok to me. I will give it a try.

    SvaraRadera