fredag 18 december 2020

PETER GABRIEL/IV PG4 (-82) UK

 


 A while ago I picked out his third album and this, blew off the dust and gave them the first good listen in a couple of decades, hoping to rekindle. The former was easy to feel, made me happy and even got me up on the livingroom floor to dance (see earlier post).  This not so much.  The subjects are serious - jealousy, faith healing,  rituals and cultural conflicts -  which also reflects in the music.  I understand the messages are important, but at least I would have got them easier if conveyed by more catchiness.  Nevertheless I do find some memorable moments - "The Rhythm Of The Heat" (apparently inspired by a  Carl Jung experience in East Africa) and "San Jacinto" (about a native American and his meeting with white society) are both empathetic and touching and I would have liked "I Have The Touch" a lot if backed by real instruments...good song sadly wrecked by prominent electronics.  For "III" I thought they managed to handle those and making it sound just right, but here it's just too much.  Most of the backing is simulated with addition of sampling. It's also an early digital recording which it seems they couldn't handle properly, cause a lot of it comes through damp and uninviting.  Maybe that was the aim...I don't know but do miss some kind of welcoming feeling.  To put it short - great album, just a little too dark and synthy for my taste.  Issued and reissued on every possible format all over the world through the years.  In US released as "Security" (Geffen Records GHS 2011) and a German-language version as "Deutsches Album" (Charisma 6302 221).  Premiere UK had label as shown here in a thin fully laminated cover with pic/lyric/info inner.  (GYÄ*)  (CÄX*)


                                                                               
                                                                                 
                                                                                 
                                                                                 





Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar