lördag 22 juli 2023

WEST SIDE STORY/THE ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK RECORDING BPG 62058 (-61) UK MONO

 

  One of the first LP:s my parents bought. Up to then it'd mostly been 45:s and my fathers jazz 78:s so for me it was a revelation. Even if I back then had started to wrap my young mind around rock and pop this seemed so luxrious compared to the other records we had I couldn't resist listening. Didn't know then that it would be an all time classic and broadly praised for decades to come and certainly didn't get all of the magic, but it did touch me. Then, after seeing Beatles performing at the Swedish TV-show "Drop-In" 1963, rock took over my mind 100% and I forgot all about this. But just a while ago I spotted a copy in a bin that was exactly the same as the one we had. The structured label with large "BPG" prefix in a floppy laminated fold/out two-flip sleeve with pics and synopsis inside. Not sure why or how I remember after sixty years, but it fits my memory to the point. And listening to it sure takes me back in time. I may have heard "America", "I Feel Pretty" and all the other cuts from many different settings on many different occations through the years, yet it's with this particular copy I finally feel at home and can enjoy to the fullest. The fact that it offers a next to perfect mono reproduction helps, but it's the reminiscing that does it. May seem strange from a collecting point of view, though maybe not from an older man's, where memories tend to overhaul the present.  (ZÖNT*)

                                                                                    
                                                                                
                                                                                     
                                                                               

                                                                               





 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar