onsdag 24 juli 2013

PROCOL HARUM/A SALTY DOG SLRZ 1009 (-69) UK - A&M 2073 (-71) MONO BRAZIL

During eleven years 1967-77 they made nine original studio albums and there wasn't a bad cut on any of them - classic songs carrying delightful melodies and poetic lyrics, performed with lots of feeling. The production was sometimes slightly experimental, but never as an end in itself and always on the spot. This their third LP follows the same path - ten top numbers overflowing with joy. They're all favorites, but if I have to pick two - "The Devil Came From Kansas" and "All This And More". At the time for first release EMI had started to abolish double issues and this never came as UK mono. However the Brazil mono shown here gives a hint what that would have been like. While the stereo is fine, natural and revealing, the mono has other advantages. It's bigger and bouncier, yet cleaner with very good separation. Building on some kind of fold-down, although not straight on. The UK issue wasn't a perfect compatible and hitting the mono button on that makes it muddy at parts, but this sounds all clean and clear. Maybe it could be explained by the mono was cut from other tapes than UK, or engraved with different use of equipment. In any case it's something else. Both labels shown here are 1:st issues. The UK had fully laminated cover and the Brazilian common plastic covered sheets. (SÖMI*)(PRÖX*)(RÄZ*) (CPYC*)(MÅW*)

6 kommentarer:

  1. I love Procol Harum first four albums. Here is one of my favourite songs 'Pilgrims Progress' but 'Wreck Of The Hesperus', 'A Salty Dog', 'All This And More' are great and beautiful too! I think it's still very underrated album.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I could have picked any two tracks - they're all good :) Many collectors are still interested in their first four albums because of the Regal Zonophone label, but as a whole the group is sadly underrated. Not many acts had such quality in every aspect. I'm still looking for a UK issue of "Home", wich IMO is their best.

    SvaraRadera
  3. 'Home' is my favourite album too!! UK press has mostly worn cover. You're right, it's very underrated band. I always wondering why they lost in the UK.

    SvaraRadera
  4. Hello there. I need some advice. Yesterday I received a Hollies-box from "Sundazed records" with 10 singles all in mono. Some of them sounded bad with no bottom. I am waiting for Jeff Beck's Truth and Yardbirds Little Games in mono as well from Sundazed. I don't have a mono-button or a mono pickup. Should I bring my old Tandberg up wich has a mono-button or invest in a mono cartridge? I don't mind spending some money to get the glorious mono sound. Or can I play these records as I normal do with my stereo pick ups? I have many different turntables for different uses.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. I don't see the need for a special mono equipment. I use a round needle for sixties recordings, in my experience the elliptic or any MC leaves the outcome too thin. Sure M44 -7 does it for me, but there may be others giving same result.

      Erik

      Radera
  5. It's a mystery neither "Sine On Brightly", "Grand Hotel" or "Exotic Birds And Fruit" charted in UK, but the albums did better in US.

    SvaraRadera