torsdag 12 april 2018

MARIANNE FAITHFULL/BROKEN ENGLISH M1 (-79) UK

Sometimes it pays to get back to records you didn't fancy or even hated long time ago. Bought this at release to my then girlfriend. But while she played it over and over, learning all the songs, I rejected it totally because of the synths and the feeling didn't catch me at all. After we broke up the LP stayed in my collection forgotten for decades. Then a while ago I saw a documentary about Faithfull on TV, was impressed and to my surprise I still had the record so I picked it out a went for a spin. And now I'm quite touched. The synths doesn't bother me so much anymore as I hear a balance from other instruments and they actually help to set the mood. Tracks a blend of self-penned, collaboratios and covers. Though from differing sources performed in a way they all seem to reflect her previous years as a derelict tainted by heroin abuse, homelessnes and depression. It's dark, but described by a mature discerning woman, not a victim. I'm enjoying it a lot, especially the hard-core "Why D'Ya Do It" with its Fripp-inspired (?) guitars, the cover of Shel Silverstein's "The Ballad Of Lucy Jordan" and the title track. But it's so evenly produced and performed you wanna play it in one sweep, reluctant to miss a bit. And the best thing is - it's new to me! If digging it from the start I might have been slightly fed-up by now, as you can get by listening to favorites over and over, but in my world it's now a novelty, fresh and something to get in to and discover. So I'm glad I missed it back then. Issued and reissued all over the world through the years in every possible format. First US on Island (ILPS 9570). Premiere UK came with two different label designs - one with colored title/logo and one all black/white - both apparently using the same matrixes with "ILPS 9570" scratched out and replaced with etched "M1-A1" and additional ISLAND JONZ on side one and side two having "M1-B1" with ISLAND SOUND CLINIC . No clue which was first. This b/w copy came with thin fully laminated cover and polylined black inner. (FÄV*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar