tisdag 14 augusti 2018

ALICE BYG 529016 (-70) FRANCE

This is new to me and I would like to know what was going on in and around the band, but when searching the net all I get, apart from the member's names, is they were the first French prog combo, issuing two LP:s before breakup mid-seventies where of this was the debute. What I hear here is good pre-prog, with excellent guitars and some flowing organ, but also flute and occational violin. A blend of rather heavy rock and jazzy ballads, a couple with vocals that for me, not very aquainted with the French language, works more like other instruments than messages. If to compare with more known bands some of it can remind of late Traffic and the flute parts may be inspired by Jethro Tull. But I don't hear copying, if anything it's like a homage. To my ears sounding very mature and rather cool for a debute album so I'm guessing they'd already played together for a while, or the members were experienced separately. My favorite tracks would be the rockers - "Extrait Du" towards early hard rock embedded in guitars with an enticing riff, the peculiar guitar instrumental "Tournez La Page" and "L'Arbre" up-tempo with warped vocals and more good guitars. The audio is just fine and in all very pleasant listening if you're into pre-synth pre-prog. 1970 releases also in Japan (BYG 101) and Germany (Metronome MLP 15391). French 1996 remastered CD (Magic Records 528082) came with six bonus tracks. Premiere French vinyl had label as shown here and fully laminated fold/out cover. (MFÄX*) (GZÅ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar