söndag 20 januari 2019

SAM & DAVE/HOLD ON, I'M COMIN' SD 708 (-66) US STEREO

When posting their second and third LP:s - "Double Dynamite" and "Soul Men" - I had to start from scratch and discover, as those albums were new to me...and that went very well with me slowly falling in love. For this debute I have memories of playing a copy on my old stone crusher mono gramophone in the sixties and extracting enough sound from that to be hooked, especially by the title track and "I Take What I Want" with its irresistable guitar riff. But even if this is stereo and strummed from a way better equipment I'm reaquainted with the same feeling I remember having back then - engulfed in a warm and personal atmosphere, as they were there playing for me. Today I know this is called Memphis Soul and sometimes put in contrast to the more produced Motown style. Simpler and less meddled with, just right on with a minimum of overdubs. And that's what I hear here - much of it seemingly recorded live in the studio giving an authentic impression inviting me in. Good listening both close and as positive background. Audio great - strong yet soft. "I Take what I Want" comes monoish, the rest true stereo. Also as US mono. Originally issued in Canada, UK (Atlantic 587/8 045), Germany (Atlantic STAX SD-708), Australia (Atlantic SAL 933012). German 1994 2xCD came with live takes from Paris and London as bonus. Sometimes Stax stereo labels came with an SD prefix as seen here, sometimes just an S, or no prefix at all - and all three variations can show up on different copies from the same issue. If there's a timeline there somewhere I'm not aware, but guess this is early with ridged label as shown here and glossy cover. (YZÄ*) (TÄX*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar