fredag 4 januari 2019

NANA MOUSCOURI/ NANA MOUSCOURI SINGS HADJIDAKIS 6331029 (-71) GREECE

After my parents bought the "All Star Festival" charity sampler 1963 (more on that here https://monolover.blogspot.com/2016/10/all-star-festival-99500-dl-63-mono.html) we all choosed our own favorite tracks. One unexpected for the then ten year old me, at the time beginning to dig deep into pop and rock, was Nana Mouscouri's "Ximeroni". As a preteen I didn't know why it touched me, just enjoyed, but the song has stayed in memory ever since and after finding this LP I'm trying to sort out if that was more than just a fling. Here she's interpreting songs by Greek composer Manos Hadjidakis (1925-94), one of the men behind the Éntekhno genre - a style where Greek folk tradition blends with modern art music. Most internationally known exemple of that would be the Academy Award winner "Never On A Sunday". Since this LP has "Ximeroni" in a different version than the 1963 one and my understanding of Greek language is very limited, I'm not sure if it consists of re-recordings, or a mix of old and new. I'll leave that to those who know better. Anyway it's good listening. A couple of the songs up-tempo, but most of it slow and dreamy. Arrangements varying from acoustic guitar only to baroque strings, most with elaborate background quires. And hearing her vocals now I get why they caught me fiftyfive years ago. So beautifully solid and bittersweet I'm engulfed once again...or maybe still. Good to know our affair is still on. The audio isn't top of the line due to tons of added reverb, but kind of fitting the cause providing enjoyable listening anyway so I'm good with it. Favorite track - "Ximeroni". To my knowledge this was Greek only. Also on Philips cassette (7116031) and CD (510 728-2). First had label as shown here and thin laminated cover. (FÄV*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar