torsdag 5 oktober 2023

THE BEATLES/A HARD DAY'S NIGHT UK STEREO PCS 3058 VS. UK MONO PMC 1230

 

                                                                               

 I've had UK mono copies of this almost since first release, but never bothered to get the stereo since mono always was the first made mix back then and also the one the bands listened to and ok'd after the recordings, while stereo was made as an afterthought. But now after finding an early UK stereo pressing thought it would be interesting to compare the formats. The track differences are well known - stereo having slightly longer versions of "A Hard Day's Night" and "I Should Have Known Better" which also has an haromnica miss at the beginning, plus double-tracked vocals on "If I Fell" and "Tell Me Why" not on the mono. Stereo also comes out a lot brighter with more reverb. However I am impressed by the two-channel mix. No excessive panning, instead quite collected with vocals centered all through. Apart from the reverb the mixes sound quite modern and way better than most other UK stereos made at the time. As a whole I still prefer the drier sounding mono, but a couple of the calmer tracks - like "If I Fell" and "And I Love Her" - come out more majestic in stereo, which actually adds to my Beatles experience. Early on this release had a couple of label variations and I've seen discussions which was first. I don't know, but with labels having both "Recording First Published..." and "Sold In UK..." these copies have to be from 1964, so very early. They came in Garrods & Lofthouse laminated flip/back covers with "Emitex" rice paper inners.  (BÄ*)  (LGÅ*)  (MÅW*)

                    

                                                                                     
                                                                                  
                                                                                      
                                                                                     






2 kommentarer:

  1. I really like this in stereo. You may like Beatles For Sale in stereo if you don't already have it.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yes "For Sale..." is very good stereo too. I have posted that before here.

      Radera