tisdag 16 september 2014

ROLLING STONES/FLOWERS LL 3509 (-67) US MONO

US compilation valuable to both American and European buyers at the time. The UK export formats were scarce even then. What we saw most of here in Sweden were imported US copies, first sold at regular price and eventually part of the huge cut-out dumping in the seventies. Twelve songs, some of them previously non-LP and three issued for the first time anywhere - "Ride On Baby", "Sittin' On A Fence" and "My Girl". The audio is very good and I've always been certain all cuts were true mono...that is till I saw Prof. Stoned's article on the UK mono export http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/rolling-stones-flowers-uk-mono-export.214975/. It got me curious if US and UK issues shared the same source. According to the article that version suffers from flaws like poor sound quality at parts and four of the cuts being stereo reductions. There's certainly no bad audio here and honestly I can't hear the sometimes subtle differences described. Maybe that's just me - I tried to compare with my UK stereo export, but after about a trillion stereo-mono comparisons through the years my brain has burned out that function and today trying to hear tiny dissimilarities just makes me impatient and irritated. So for a shortcut I went out on the net trying to get reliable info. The export stereo apparently is from the US tapes, but I can't seem to get a certain answer about the mono - some say it is and others say it isn't. If anyone reading this knows for sure - please comment and tell. Btw the matrixes on this copy are etched ARL 7752-1M/ARL 7753-1L. It has glossy label and thick glossy cover with London ad inner. (RÅ*) (PÖP*) (YZÄ*) (ÖXCÅ*)

2 kommentarer:

  1. That article still seem fairly accurate to me. Maybe I was mistaken about some of the tracks that were exclusive to this compilation; they may exist only in stereo. The UK mono is also sourced from a USA copy tape. It has the same content as its USA counterpart.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I never doubted the article. Just wanted to know for sure if US and UK monos were the same. And now I do. Thanks :)

    SvaraRadera