tisdag 6 oktober 2020

THE TEMPTATIONS/WITH A LOT O'SOUL STML 11057 (-67) UK

 


Their fifth and back then most successful studio album, recorded during what is called the "classic 5" era,  when the group consisted of David Ruffin, Eddie Kendricks, Paul Williams, Melvin Franklin and Otis Williams.  Add to that skill most of the song-writing, production and arrangements were handeled by people as Norman Whitfield, Smokey Robinson, Holland-Dozier-Holland and backed by the Motown crew and it just had to be good.  I get lots of delightful sixties soul here. Melodic and touching all the way. Not a bad track and nothing that even remotely can be called a filler.  I enjoy sitting through even if to my ears it gets a little sugary in the long run.  That don't have to be a bad thing, but just a little salt would have made it even more perfect for me.  My favorites here are the most obvious - "Just One Last Look" and "(I Know) I'm Losing You" -  whereof the latter causes a small problem in my mind.  Rod Stewart's cover of that song, from "Every Picture Tells A Story", has been with me since 1971 and I've always adored that.  Since the the one here is the original I should prefer it by all means, but can't as I still find Stewart's version a lot more fitting. However the audio on this UK press is very good, stereo mix fine for its time and it's cut comfortably loud.  Should be an enjoyable aquaintence for all lovers of sweet soul music. Issued and reissued more or less all over the world on vinyl and/or CD through the years, also reel.  Premiere US on  Gordy (G/GS 922). Japan 2013 remastered CD on Motown (UICY 75836).  First UK, also as mono (TML 11057), had label as shown here and laminated flip/back cover with Motown ad inner.  (TÖMÖ*)  (ÄIÖ*)







 


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar