söndag 7 augusti 2022

THE KINKS/EVERYBODY'S IN SHOW BIZ-EVERYBODY'S A STAR DPS 2035 (-72) UK


 June 1976 I was in a car accident and put in coma for a while connected to a respirator. After waking up I faced at least a year of rehab to make body and mind work again. Happy to be alive I managed daytime training and social interaction, but the nights were terrible. Hunted by demons of past and present I just couldn't sleep. The prescribed pills only made it worse so I decided to endure the dark hours and hope for the best, took my Sony cassette player and recorded eight hours of music to get me through the nights. The songs chosen were all of the same kind - melodic, soft with good audio and a friendly atmosphere, making me feel relaxed and cozy during the long hours. I slightly remember some of the tracks - by Argent, Zombies, Beatles and Bryan Ferry - but this was the album most represented with six cuts. It had everything I needed with good melodies, insightful lyrics and above all a feeling of being amongst friends. My favorite was "Supersonic Rocket Ship" and still today that track puts me in a warm and pleasant mood. It's a 2LP set - one live made at Albert Hall and one with studio recordings. The live set is good and rather funny, but to me it's all about the studio record. It has been called a transition album and a start for Ray Davies theatrical rock-opera composing. Maybe so, but I hear "Muswell Hillbillies" part 2  https://monolover.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-kinksmuswell-hillbillies-sf8243-71.html . Both have about the same instrumentation, mix of genres and great songs. There's no idol worship or high horses, but true interaction with the listener, honest and heartfelt. In my opinion it's a classic and one that will never get old. Early US on RCA Victor (VPS-6065). Japan 1998 CD on Victor (VICP 60445) came with two bonus tracks. First UK with label as shown here, matt f/o cover and picture lyric insert. (KYX*)(LYBÖ*) 

                                                                                
                                                                                  
                                                                               
                                                                               
                                                                               
                                                    
                                                                               

                                                                                  

                                                                                






 

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar