onsdag 7 juni 2023

GERRY RAFFERTY/CITY TO CITY UAS 30104 (-78) UK


  Gerald Rafferty (1947-2011) was a Scotish singer/songwriter. After playing folk rock with The Humblebums 1965-71 and releasing his first solo album 1971 - "Can I Have My Money Back?" - he became one of the founding members of Steelers Wheel, most known for their International hit "Stuck In The Middle With You", managing #8 in UK and #6 on Billboard. After they broke up 1975 he has released ten solo albums, where of this was the first. It was an immediate success, reaching #1 on Billboard, #6 in the UK and high on charts in many other countries. That no doubt much because of one of the spawned 45:s - "Baker Street" -  which became a world wide blockbuster. And that song is the reason I bought this album. After 45 years it still gives me goosebumps all over if I'm in the mood. Not only because of the emotional saxophone riff or the brilliant guitar solo. It's the balance between those and the touching melody sung so poignantly creating an irresistable flow of regret. It gets me every time. The rest of the LP has songs in about the same mood, providing cozy listening all through, but to my taste not carrying the same edge and feeling as "Baker Street". A perfect track that I'm sure will continue to give me goosebumps for many years to come.  Issued and reissued across the world on all possible formats through the years. First US on United Artists (UA-LA840-G). Premiere UK had label as shown here in a thin fully laminated cover.  

                                                                                    

                                                                            



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar