tisdag 29 augusti 2017

EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER/BRAIN SALAD SURGERY SD 19124 (-73) US

The band's fourth studio effort. When I bought it at first release I was still all in with "Pictures..." and "Trilogy", basing in the melodic warmth of those two albums. In comparison I thought this sounded aloof and less inviting and since not getting a direct connection I put it aside. Had a number of copies through the years and though I've tried still can't get aboard 100%. Always liked Greg Lake's vocals so "Jerusalem", "Still...You Turn Me On", "Benny The Bouncer" and parts of "Karn Evil 2" gets to me, but I can't feel most of the rest. Very intellectual, progressive and well played indeed, still not grasping and I'm sure I've heard many of those keyboard licks before. Maybe some of my hesitation has to do with the audio. In comparison to their previous albums it's colder, sometimes squeekyish, and that doesn't help the acquainting. To my ears this US press works a little better than a UK 1st, but not by much. Most US copies I've come across was on Manticore. Don't know how this Atlantic press relates, probably an early reissue (both matrixes ends with -M, no number). It came with label as shown here, glossy gimmic fold/out cover and fold/out picture/credit/lyric poster. (ÄPY*) (YZÄ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar