fredag 18 augusti 2017

FRIJID PINK SML-R 1062 (-70) UK

Just found an update to my old party-played copy which later years had more background noise than music. While rediscovering it now I feel it's time for a repost. Dirty American rock, right on without safety net. Howling and unbridled with lots of attitude. I'm as much in love as I was four years ago, so here I go again...For background on the group check previous post on their second LP "Defrosted". While that was elaborately raw with an even production and sound, the debute is more free range. When produced by one of Gordy's proteges Mike Valvano, who was on a short leave from Motown at the time, one should expect strict reins, but this is scratchy pre-punk and garage, partly with a live feeling. Tons of fuzz guitars, wild backing and screamy vocals makes it beautiful to my ears. I don't think anyone involved expected it to be a big hit, but it did surprisingly well with #11 on Billboard. The '45 release cover of "House Of The Rising Sun" (originally an album filler) got to #7 in US, #3 in Canada, #1 in Germany and top five in a number of European countries. Premiere US on Parrott (PAS 71033). UK first also in mono (DML-R 1062) - I haven't heard that, but this stereo is a perfect compatible so it's probably a fold down. First UK had label as shown here and laminated cover with die-cut hole on back. (DÄRR*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar