torsdag 24 augusti 2017

PAUL McCARTNEY AND WINGS/RED ROSE SPEEDWAY PCTC 251 (-73) UK

To my taste not his finest moment. At the time I was expecting something made in the same garage fashion as "Wings Wild Life" (which I really liked btw), but no. From a larger perspective it has some of that let-go attitude, but here coming on more strained with less feeling and, at least for me - less connection. The two rejects from earlier sessions - "Mary Had A Little Lamb" and "Do The Right Thing" - were initially left out for a reason and as far as I can hear here that was the right thing to do. Why they suddely revalued them as fitting for this is an enigma. Leaving them be and instead including "Live And Let Die" (recorded during these sessions) and "The Mess" (live take initially only issued as flip side of the "My Love" 45), would have made this a much better LP. That said - "My Love" is a timeless ballad, "Big Barn Bed" a well produced trifle that always makes me smile and I've managed to live with the rest, knowing they could and would do so much better. Issued all over the world through any possible format over the years. Early UK had label as shown here and matt fold/out cover with a braille message to Stevie Wonder on rear - "We Love Ya Baby" - plus a 12-page stapled booklet containing band pics, credits, lyrics and a collage of bare-breasted women. (BÄ*) (ÄPLÄ*) (MÄCC*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar