fredag 11 oktober 2019

GEORGE HARRISON/CLOUD NINE 925 643-1 (-87) GERMANY

His eleventh and last original solo album. But even if billed as such there were so many other famed names involved in the making - Jeff Lynne, Eric Clapton, Elton John and Ringo Starr among others - it could as well have been tagged as a supergroup effort. The eighties wasn't a good place for me to be as music lover and collector. I did not like the sound coming out of the modern studio equipments or the synths popping up almost everywhere, replacing real instruments. So with his recent very uneven albums in mind and knowing Jeff Lynne co-produced I did not expect a lot from this, just bought it for old time sake. I remember liking it at first, coming out much better than anticipated, but since I'd just started to hunt down and collect rare monos at the time I soon forgot about it and lost it in some trade. Just picked up this copy from a used bin and finally found out it is a great album, even better than I remember. Jeff Lynne's involvement may make the sound a little ELO-ish at times, but it never tips over instead providing a cohesive atmosphere to the songs, making it good to the ears. And the songwriting maybe his best since "All Things Must Pass". The spotless "I'm The Walrus" pastiche "When We Was Fab" garnished by appropriate quires and real cello with Ringo on drums makes my mind drift back to the Beatles best days. "Cloud 9", "Devil's Radio" and "Got My Mind Set On You" very catchy, arrangements so well done all through and the guitars so sweet I'm in 100%. Almost glad I didn't take full notice back then, that means I can enjoy it more now. Issued and reissued on all possible formats all over the world through the years. First German had label as shown here and fully laminated stickered cover with picture/credit inner. (BÄ*) (GÄÖ*) (GÖXÄ*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar