måndag 7 oktober 2019

FACES/A NOD IS AS GOOD AS A WINK...TO A BLIND HORSE BS 2574 (-71) US

Follow-up to the band's very fetching second LP "Long Player". For background check   https://monolover.blogspot.com/2019/08/faceslong-player-ws-1892-71-us.html. I get the same mix of raw yet friendly rock'n'roll and sincere ballads, but here even harder rocking and I'm if possible even more charmed. The lyrics to "Stay With Me" couldn't be more off in this "me too" day and age, but it is a hell of a rocker and as such a fine representative of the time in which it was made. "That's All You Need" building on a fierce slide guitar riff and telling a rather sad story...and still giving me goosebumps if I'm in the right mood. Further "Miss Judy's Farm", "You're So Rude", "Last Orders Please" and "Too Bad" good solid rock'n'roll - the latter having a theme slightly reminding of "Had Me A Real Good Time" from Long Player, with them being thrown out from a high class environment, thus emphasizing their own unrefined ways. This US press has awesome audio - big, wide and clear right in my face. Got nothing to compare with, but the copy has matrix no.s - 1BS 2574-A 40009-1A/BS 2574 4010-B-1C - which I guess means pressed at Columbia Records in Santa Maria (right me if I'm wrong). Issued and reissued on every possible format all over the world through the years. Premiere UK on Warner Bros. (K 56006) came with slightly different sleeve design. Early US had label as shown here in a fully laminated cover with "Loss Leaders" order form inner. Some also had a picture insert, unfortunately missing with my copy. (YZÄ*) (SXÅH*)

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar