onsdag 11 november 2020

VANILLA FUDGE/RENAISSANCE SD 33-244 (-68) US

 


 The band's third album and first to mostly include self-penned songs.  It's my absolute favorite of theirs. If "psych-prog drama" was a genre in itself this would be the pinnacle within and then mainly because of two tracks -  "The Sky Cried - When I Was A Boy" and "The Spell That Comes After".  My mind always shapes pictures while listening to them - the former as an injured heart pulsating while bursting with feelings, the latter down on its knees oozing with desperation. Very personal I know, but they do induce strong emotions in me.  For more also check post on the UK mono.  That is a fold and not a very good one, most of it coming through damp and too crammed, especially the two aforementioned cuts.  So I just thought the original stereo wasn't compatible and that was it. Though, to my surprise, after finding this US original and connecting the channels I get a much better mono result with further separation and power.  Not sure what the British did or why, but it isn't the only exemple from the late sixties where the UK stock mono actually sounds measlier than a straight fold would have, same goes for "Let It Bleed" and "Beck-Ola" (see earlier comparisons) and probably a couple more.  So I truly enjoy this US stereo.  Still massive and overwhelming, but open enough to allow the feelings to sip through.  It was also issued as US mono promo. I would very much like to have that...slim chance I know, but a guy can hope. As usual I'm having a hard time finding an exact time frame for a US copy. This has "CT" on label and matrix, which indicates a Terra Haute, Columbia Records, pressing and as it came with ridged glossy label on rather heavy vinyl in a sleeve with laminated front I guess very early.  (YZÄ*)

                                                                                 




Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar