fredag 22 oktober 2021

THE BAND/MUSIC FROM BIG PINK (-68) UK MONO T 2955 VS. UK STEREO ST 2955

 



One of the most spread and loved period albums. Don't have a personal relation to it myself, but do appreciate the craft and feeling. Rumours say this mono is a stone cold fold, but as usual I don't trust hearsay about mixes so I had to get it firsthand. When starting the comparison - as usual by pushing the mono button on the stereo to mimick a fold and collate against the mono - I didn't expect any differences. And as far as I can hear there are no divergences in the songs intros or outros, but to my ears this mono for some reason sounds more alive than a fold would.  It comes out somewhat louder and clearer with better separation and especially the vocals sound more on top, while connecting the channels gives a more levelled impression. To my knowledge the mono was only issued in UK so I find it hard to believe a separate mix was made just for that, or that one was initially made for US purposes and ditched there, then sent overseas. Maybe something else was done to alter the audio. Got no clue here, but pleased there is a detectable difference showing this mono isn't a straight fold from the corresponding stereo tapes. That makes it a little more precious.  (CPYC*)  (MÅW*)







Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar