måndag 26 september 2022

STEELEYE SPAN/BACK IN LINE FLUT 2 (-86) UK


 As a big fan of this group I've been indecisive about posting this at all, but here I go. Of all their albums I've heard so far this is the only one I haven't been able to wrap my ears around in a good way. It was their twelfth studio recording, issued six years after the, to my taste, totally ok "Sails Of Silver"  https://monolover.blogspot.com/2022/08/steeleye-spansails-of-silver-chr-1304.html  and three years before the in all tophole "Tempted And Tried"   https://monolover.blogspot.com/2012/09/steeleye-spantempted-and-tried-add-9-89.html  . Always try to be positive to their work, though here I find that difficult. Not because of the songs or perfomances, but by being constantly disturbed by the audio on this UK issue. Artificially enlarged with a glossy facet, giving an unnatural impression, making it sound constructed rather than true. And for me that doesn't fit folky stuff at all where honesty is needed to connect. I can hear there are quite a few good songs - like the Maddy Prior sung "Lady Diamond", "Isabel" and "Black Leg Minor" or "Piece On The Border" with its nice chorus, but the flashy surface repels me and I can't get in. It's such a shame, but I do have eleven other very good albums from the band to comfort me so I'll get by. Also issued on vinyl in US (Shanachie 79063), Australia (Interfusion L38573), Germany (Wundertute (TUT 129) and on Flutterby (FLUT 2) in Portugal.  UK CD on Park Records came with three bonus tracks. Premiere UK had label as shown here in a thin matt cover.  (BRYF*)  (FÄV*)  (SÖPX*)

 

                                                                              
                                                                           

                                                                                           

                                                                              






Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar