måndag 2 december 2013

THE GUN SXL 0773 (-71) POLAND

A classic British LP, recorded 1968 at a time before the rock sub-genres had started to generate and separate. The group, consisting of brothers Paul and Adrian Gurwitz and Louie Farrell, began as supporting band to Pink Floyd, Arthur Brown and Tomorrow at the UFO club in London - getting influences from early psychedelia, but also developing their own special mix of styles, resulting in what today may be called proto-hard rock or premature prog. This debute album was issued all over the world in the late sixties with the famous first Roger Dean cover and partly bad audio. Here's a nice alternative. Front cover is a group pic exclusive to the Polish issue, rear has notes from a Chris Welsh Melody Maker reveiw translated to Polish. It uses the UK CBS tapes and the audio is OK. There was also a Polish mono https://monolover.blogspot.com/2022/08/the-gun-xl-0773-71-mono-poland.html  . As far as I know this was first, or at least an early release with blue label and thin glossy sleeve. (BÅC*)(ÄHÅR*)

2 kommentarer:

  1. I remember when I was kid my father was owner of this LP. Polish records wasn't best in the world. Front picture is very fine.
    Now I have in my collection CD with great and very first cover made by Roger Dean.
    I never knew it was pressed in mono version in Poland.

    SvaraRadera
  2. It's funny how things turn out. You grew up with this but rather have the Roger Dean cover. I've always had that, but think this Polish is a lot more desirable :)

    Btw Eastern European presses are somewhat underestimated. Not all are great, but some very good. The Polish "London Beats" and Czech "Blood Sweat & Tears I posted earlier both have top sound and so does most East German ones.

    SvaraRadera