måndag 18 november 2019

THEM/THEM AGAIN LK 4751 (-66) UK MONO

Their second album and last with Van Morrison, who quit for a solo carreer soon after. As the story goes the band was disintegrating already during the recordings and the only member present through all songs was Morrison, with at least part of the backing supported by studio musicians. I don't know about that, but in any case the LP was initially a semi-flop with some success on a couple of lists, though not charting in UK and only reaching #138 on Billboard. Checking the vinyl market today pristine UK originals can sell for $500 or more. The high prices can probably be derived from a combination of rarity and that it was an early part of the still highly collectible Van Morrison's carreer, but musically not that outstanding. It is a very good soulish r&b LP, yet only one of many such issued in the sixties. What makes it a little more special is Van the Man's soulful vocals, which to my taste fits a lot better to this simple rock setting than to many of his later bombastic ballad backgrounds, here coming through more naked and direct. So to my ears great without being the absolutely fantastic record some of the prices paid may hint. Favorite tracks - the self-penned ones "Could You, Would You", "My Lonely Sad Eyes", "Bad Or Good" and "Bring 'Em All In" plus the Chris Kenner cover "Something You Got". This press cut borderline too loud to my ears, making some of it burst at the seams, still as a whole good listening. Issued and reissued pretty much all over the world on vinyl and CD through the years. First US on Parrot (PA 61008/PAS 71008) as a twelve track, omitting "I Put A Spell On You", "I Got A Woman", "Hello Josephine" and "Hey Girl". Premiere UK press came with ridged label which this copy hasn't, so it's probably from 1968-69. But as it has the 1B/1B matrixes and 1/1 mothers with H/BI stampers in the laminated flip/back cover, early enough for me. (VMÖ*)

4 kommentarer:

  1. Fabulous version of Dylan's 'It's All Over Now, Baby Blue' as well

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Yes sir. A pity that setting didn't last longer. I'm enjoying this a lot more than Van solo or the band's adventures without Van.

      Radera
    2. I have to say I'm far more of a fan of solo Van than with Them, but I appreciate dirty R'n'B as much as the next man.

      Radera
    3. I may be too old and grey and stuck in the old days to appreciate later Van, but I'm glad we agree on dirty R'n'B :)

      Radera